Infertility Treatment in Men in Saint Petersburg
Infertility treatment is a current problem. According to statistics, 30% of couples get pregnant after 3 months of having unprotected sex, 60% after 7 months and 10% after 11 to 12 months of having sex. Surely, these data concern healthy people.
Infertility term is used when a couple doesn’t get pregnant after a year of unprotected sex. Many think first about a woman as a reason for infertility. No way! If a conception has not occurred within two years of sex life, the reason may be in a man by 30 to 40% (see below…).
Only Urologist-Andrologist can find out the reason for infertility. However, having conception issues, both partners should get examined and tested.
According to statistics, 30% of couples get pregnant after 3 months of having unprotected sex, 60% after 7 months and 10% after 11 to 12 months of having sex. Surely, these data concern healthy people.
Infertility term is used when a couple doesn’t get pregnant after a year of unprotected sex.
Many think first about a woman as a reason for infertility.
No way! If a conception has not occurred within two years of sex life, the reason may be in a man by 30 to 40%.
What does male fertility depend on? The quality and quantity of sperm that has came out. The process is continuous. In male body is produced about one thousand spermatozoa. Glitches in the process may result from many diseases and conditions affecting the system.
Meanwhile, infertility is not a disease but a state in a male body. After a definite treatment a man is able to become a father, if he has healthy food, correct lifestyle and no urinary infections.
Possible Reasons for Infertility
- STI (sexually transmitted infections). These include chlamydia, trichomoniasis, ureaplamosis, gonorrhea, microplasmosis, and other viral infections. Remarkably, partner can spread infection to his woman and cause infertility in her.
- Various inflammatory diseases of male reproductive system. These include prostatitis (inflammation of prostate), orchitis (inflammation of testis),epididymitis (inflammation of epididymis).
- Abnormal development of urinary system organs. This may be cryptorchidism (absence of one or both testes from scrotum due to uncompleted descension), monorchism (testicular hypoplasia), vascular diseases, e.g. varicocele, atherosclerosis.
- Other infections can affect the testicular tissues. These are tuberculosis, pneumonia, typhus, brucellosis and others. It is also parotitis (inflammation of parotid gland) if an adult person has it.
- Sexual organ injures of different severity score.
- Different unfriendly environmental conditions. These are radiation and chemicals (ammone, phosphorus, benzole, mercury, ethylethanamine, lead, manganese, carbon bisulfide, etc.
- Use of drugs, smoking and alcohol.
- Diseases of endocrine system and other organs. Here we mention anemia, conditions of thyroid gland, adrenal gland, pancreas, hypophysis and epiphysis, kidneys, liver and lungs.
- Body overheat. Reasons may include professional activity (iron founder, baker, stocker and other professions) and fever.
- Medicines. These may be antibiotics, hormones, cytostatics, sulphanilamides, etc.
- Unhealthy food, hunger or lack of A, B, C, D, E vitamins.
- Stress and high physical loads.
- Immune conditions.
Remarkably, the reason for infertility is not alone. Often it is a combination of factors. Surely, it is to be considered when treating.
Only Urologist-Andrologist can find out the reason for infertility. However, having conception issues, both partners should get examined and tested. The methods include:
- Testing for sexual infections
- Semen analysis
- Doppler ultrasound of veins
- Immune analysis
- Pelvic ultrasound
- Urine test
- Study of secretion by prostate gland
- Hormone level blood test
- Testis biopsy
Male Infertility Treatment
The treatment depends on the found reasons. These are some methods:
- If an STI is found in a man, he has an antibacterial treatment 3 to 4 weeks. Both partners are to be treated!
- In varicocele a resection of testicular vein is performed in order to remove pathology in blood flow. Ejaculate improves in several months to a year after the operation.
- Chronic prostatitis requires procedures for 3 to 4 weeks. Complex treatment with additional physiotherapy procedures.
However, there are problems that are impossible to overcome. For example, there is no treatment for azoospermia – absent spermatozoa in ejaculate. Little chances in oligozoospermia – insufficient amount of spermatozoa in ejaculate. However a couple with such a problem can resort to the help of reproductive technologies that can take spermatozoa directly from testes and their epididymides.
- Extracorporal fertilization (EF)
- Extracorporal fertilization giving an injection of one spermatozoon into the ovule
- Artificial insemination.