Cervical erosion is when lining of the cervical canal is affected. Uterine cervix is hollow organ connecting uterus and vagina.
Manifestation of Cervical Erosion
Commonly it has no symptoms. Usually, it is detected by doctor on a routine gynecological exam. In some cases, scanty bloody discharge may appear after sex and women may ignore it, though it may lead to conditions with serious follow-ups.
Diagnosing Cervical Erosion
Cervical Erosion can be diagnosed only on gynecological exam. It can be visualized with speculum during colposcopy. Colposcopy is when uterine cervix is examined with colposcope inserted into vagina. Thus, cervical erosion is a sign of many diseases. They include cervical cancer. Cervical cancer is diagnosed on cytological examination.
- General gynecological exam of uterine cervix
- Testing for STI (sexually transmitted infections). Doctor will check you for human papillomavirus (HPV) with PCR method (polymerase chain reaction).
- Schiller’s sample. Colouring uterine cervix with special solution when healthy epithelium cells become dark-brown.
- Colposcopy. Such examination of uterine cervix is performed with a special microscopy
- Hysteroscopy. This is examination of cervical canal with hysteroscope
- Cytological examination of smears taken from uterine cervix and cervical canal. Is used to determine structure of cells from lining of the cervical canal
- Biopsy. This is when a sample of tissue is taken for microscopic examination. Hystological investigation is performed for this. It gives conclusive diagnosis enabling to decide which treatment is right for particular cervical erosion.
- Pelvic ultrasound. Such examination can be used to find different lesions and malignancies.
- MRI (magnetic resonance imaging), CT (computed tomography), angiography are used on suspicion of oncology.
Treating Cervical Erosion
Surgery is often difficult to be avoided in many cases of cervical erosion. The Evromedika Medical Centre possesses innovative surgical knife VESALIUS. It is the most effective method of treatment for cervical erosion as well as when treating other vaginal diseases.
Main methods of treatment for vaginal diseases:
- Laser surgery
- Chemical coagulation
Cervical erosion and other vaginal diseases are treated at The Evromedika Medical Centre professionally.