Varicous veins is a vein condition, when veins are swollen, wider, less resilient and form nodules. It is met in people in 20% to 40%.
It is not so much a cosmetic problem. It may sometimes lead to life-threatening damage. Often, people try to live with swollen veins, heaviness in the leg, frequent bruising and vascular network ignoring Phlebological consultation until the condition is getting worse. Varicous veins are not treated easily.
There are several kinds of varicous veins:
Deep venous thrombosis is, when a clot forms in a vein deep inside of the body. The clot may clog up the vein completely or partially. DVT is marked my swollen and bluish leg with mild pain, mild temperature rise, general illness and weakness. The condition may have no symptoms particularly in a floating clot. The condition is dangerous because clot may break off and move up toward your lungs.
Thrombophlebitis is inflammation and clogging up of veins near the skin. A fragment of clot may tear off and move through the bloodstream up toward your heart and then to the lungs which is life-threatening. People ignoring treatment for varicous veins may eventually form sores and skin breakdowns. They develop due to insufficient blood outflow through deep and surface veins blocking oxygen-rich blood coming to the tissues. Tissues lack feeding and it gives rise to inflammation of the tissue skin gets thinner and less resilient.
Not only the older people have thrombophlebitis. Modern sedentary lifestyles led people under age 40 to develop thrombophlebitis.
- Among the factors for development of varicous veins is family history
- Women have risk to form varicous veins is 3 to 4 times higher
- Pregnancy and labour affect blood circulation in the lower legs – 50% of women
- People lifting weight at work. When a person is straining abdominal muscles, pressure inside body is building up. This can develop varicous veins.
- If you stand or sit for long periods of time at work, you are at risk. In position of standing and sitting pressure builds up in veins.
- Women taking hormonal drugs containing sex hormones.
Reminder: vein conditions, especially those turned worse due to neglecting, are not cared at home, but need to be estimated and treated by specialists!