Scabies is a contagious disease caused by a mite. The mite gets into the skin during a close bodily contact with an infected person. The scabies is very common in children and among children.
Signs of Scabies
The main sign of scabies is intense itch. It is an allergic reaction to the mite’s activity in the skin. The itch happens in about a month after infection. If a person gets scabies as soon as got rid of them, the itch happens at once. Itch gets worse at night because during that time the mite is more active.
Females burrow inside the skin. It is seen as white 1cm long lines on skin. The lines occur on palms between the fingers, wrests, soles, the inside of the elbows and in groin area.
In scabies, itchy blotches, cracks and crusts occur as a reaction of the body.
Different Scabies Are Put into Several Types:
- Typical scabies in most common. It is marked by usual symptoms of scabies.
- Infection without burrows is when the infection happens not by an adult mites but its larvae (babies)
- Clean scabies affect people who have shower often while washing a large amount of scabies from their bodies. The disease occurs with mild symptoms
- Norwegian scabies affects usually people with lowered immune system. They occur very badly and is greatly contagious.
- Pseudo scabies are commonly transmitted from animals. It is marked by intense itch and goes away after a person has eliminated contact with an infected animal.
- Complicated scabies occurs when due treatment has not been carried out. The infected areas become wet and have an unpleasant odor.
Scabies are to be treated after a doctor has diagnosed them. Doctor diagnoses the scabies according to the results of microscopic investigations. To ensure effective treatment several conditions are to be fulfilled:
- All members of a household or collective are to be treated
- All partners are to be treated for scabies
- All bedclothes are to be changed before and after the course of treatment
- People who have scabies should not have shower
- Medicine for scabies is to be put on all the body apart from head and neck
- Cream is to be put before going to bed.
Scabies is treated by creams, suspensions and solutions such as benzyl benzoate, spregal, sulphuric ointment. Anti-allergic medication may be used.