Abdominal decompression is an obstetric procedure carried out by applying decreased (negative) pressure on lower abdomen.
The procedure is successfully used in maternity centres, maternity homes and Departments of Gynaecology & Obstetrics of medical residential facilities in Saint Petersburg as well as in many other cities and regions of the Russian Federation.
Abdominal decompression allows:
- Saving pregnancy in 97% of cases
- Shortening overnight stay in hospital
- Excluding need for inpatient treatment in 86% of cases
Indications for treatment with abdominal decompression:
- Threat of ending the pregnancy
- Early toxaemia of pregnancy
- Late toxaemia of pregnancy, mild and moderate stages
- Threat of hypoxia
- Pelvic inflammatory diseases (pain, swelling, adhesive disease, dysminorrhea, infertility)
- Atherosclerosis in leg arteries, diabetic foot, chronic varicose veins, erysipelas on the legs
- Alcohol and drug dependence, exposure to toxins and radiation, liver conditions, constipations and overweight
- Malignant tumours
- Inflammatory diseases in acute stage
- Essential hypertension, 3rd stage
- Bleeding during pregnancy
- Heavy pregnancy toxaemia
- Antibody titer increase during pregnancy
- Leg ulcer in acute stage
- Hemorrhoids in acute stage
- Peptic ulcer disease in acute stage
Abdominal Decompression in Gynaecology & Obstetrics
Abdominal decompression equipment
Abdominal decompression applies negative pressure intermittently in abdomen and pelvis minor giving positive pressure in legs.
Some advantages over conventional drug therapy include:
- Mother takes less medications, which excludes negative drug effect on foetus and mother’s body
- In most cases, switch from inpatient treatment to outpatient, or a less overnight stays of mother in hospital
The experience shows that even at-risk mothers – first-time mothers over 30, gynaecologic complications, experienced miscarriages – after having undergone prenatal procedure course had delivery without complications. Born babies showed significant physical and mental development and increased immune response compared to control-group babies.